Wednesday, November 2, 2011


Hello everyone!
After a long journey I arrived today in Kalongo: my first day…what A DAY!
This morning I have been picked up at the hotel in Kampala by Quirino, who has been helping Fondazione Ambrosoli for many years now and know nearly everyone here!


Kampala is definitely an “early morning “ city, a lot of people around really early, a lot of Taxis…which I discover are those people riding their bike along the street with a cushion on the back side of the back: that is the seat for you in case you want to option for a taxi ride!
We arrived in about 30 minutes to Kajansi Airport, ready to reach Kalongo in approximately four hours.
The landscape from the plane was astonishing: lakes, rivers, bushes, small villages, significant changes of nature flying towards north. 

Finally then arriving in Kalongo. I think there are no words that would explain the welcome that I had at the air strip. Nearly 30 students from the Medical School affiliated with the Hospital to cheer at my arrival, singing, playing bongo, dancing and donating me flowers. Again, no words would be sufficient to explain the joy I was feeling around me.



My reference and guide here is Francesco, who introduced me to the people here and show me a tour of the Hospital, from the maternity ward (always the happiest ward in an hospital!), to the theatre (surgery room ). Was amazed me the most out of this visit today? That I have seen a lot of smiles around me, from everyone, administrators, students, patients.
Few chats here and there at it is already 9:30pm here, I am sitting on my bed, surrounded by a net to protect myself from the mosquitos, since here malaria is really common.

Tomorrow early wake up and Francesco and I will have a brief with Joseph, the deputy super of the hospital, to set up a plan in regards to my work here.
That’s all for my first day, I will return soon with more pictures and some more stories about Kalongo.

1 comment:

  1. Ciao Ale,

    I'm following you with sincere interest. I feel really happy for you because you just started an adventure that will last forever in your memories. I'm impressed by your courage that pushed you (a girl) in such a remote place. When I saw your first pics I smiled when appeared your bed with the protective net... I told you had better protecting yourself by moschitos ;-)!

    Good luck Ale and let us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete